Frequently asked questions

Do I Need Council approval?

Certain factors govern this.  If your property is NOT in a flood or bushfire prone area, it may be eligible for Complying Development.

Otherwise, a Council Development Application must be submitted. Don’t worry though,  we can guide your through the process. 

Find out more about complying developments 

What are the land size requirements?

Your property must be over 450 sqm in overall size and be at least 12 metres wide. * Varying council conditions can apply.

See a size guide 

Are All Costs Included?

The cost of our granny flats and any Ryanbuilt fees are included in our quotation.  However, other costs can include: Sloping land, Rock, Engineering, Detailed Survey, Bushfire building requirements. Additionally, council fees which vary from Council to Council.

Can I Have My Own Design?

Of course! You can use your own, pick from one of our designs or we can together work with you to design something to suit your block and lifestyle needs.

See our standard designs 


No. We don’t build off site and just plonk something on you land. All of our granny flats are custom built on site to ensure your design suits the land and environment.

We also ensure we are on site to manage the everyday building process. Because at Ryanbuilt we are with you all the way.  

How Long does it take to complete?

If your property is eligible for Complying Development, your approval can take as little as 20 days.

Lodgement of plans and approvals at Council is variable but normally 4 weeks.

Depending on the project, our build time is approximately 12 weeks * conditions apply.

Is Landscaping Included?

Landscaping is not included in our pricing. However, we can arrange a quote to have this completed for you.

Have More Questions ?